Friday 27 January 2017

Good Vibes

In Jamaica over the past few weeks, I've met many diverse people.
Artists, herbalists, orange vendors, sailing teachers, coffee growers, dance instructors, vegan cooks, mothers, travelers, hiking guides, and many more.
But people don't seem to define themselves by their roles because they have so many hats and because personality and helping the community comes before personal achievement.
The common thread is: good vibes. :)
There is a lot of noise. Much more than in Canada.
Lucy and I met some incredible ladies who are teaching us some dance moves. Everyone here dancing from a very young age and music is everywhere.
I like this song that the oldest boy, Emanuel, plays in the car on the road to the bees or to Kingston:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4QRMABGlI
Here is another one. (I have a long ways to go before I reach dance hall queen heights like this!).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2LWw97bRE

Bee-wise, we have been feeding and checking on the bees in 2 locations, rendering wax, making lotion, swirling cinnamon soap, and celebrating the logwood blooms!
We also distilled pepper elder and have been showing the newly arrived Italian couple and their beautiful 5 month old baby (!!!) the nearby hikes.
We visited a coffee plantation and went for a day-long hike with a guide, Lion, who showed us the plants and their medicinal properties, cooked us fresh fish, and swam with us in a huge waterfall! (pictures to come).

I can hardly believe I'll be here for less than 2 weeks. The day-dreamesque quality of Jamaica still hasn't worn off. I'm looking forward to starting a top bar hive in Canada, but hope to soak up every ray of sunshine while I'm here.

Peace,

Kate xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment